Sunday, March 4, 2012

Midlife Crisis

Yes, I am taking organ lessons. My midlife crisis has officially hit, and here it is:

I don't have much time left on this earth. What have I learned? Not nearly enough.

And so, in a panic, I am trying to learn so much more. Besides working full time, I am taking 10 college credits -- one of which is Organ for Majors. This one credit class includes a one hour lesson, a one hour masters class, and 21 hours of practice per week. It is my reward for working so hard on my File Systems Analysis class, my Small Device Forensics class, and my Criminal Investigations class.

PS I would much rather analyze a Bach Fugue than analyze the hex that represents the bits and bites on a hard drive. But, I suppose somebody's got to do it.

Anyway, if you've made it this far down the blog, I've uploaded a taste of what I am learning in my Organ lessons. I am learning to "add" a touch of flavor to my hymn playing. Below is a supplement to Come, Come Ye Saints that my teacher and I dreamed up for two of the verses. (Verse 2 gets the first ending. Verse 4 gets the second). I know mother has poo pooed the idea of messing with the hymns as it might throw off the congregation, but my ward hasn't been thrown off by mistakes, so why should they be thrown off by awesomeness?

PPS I wanted to play this for stake conference, but as luck would have it, the songs were changed and I wasn't informed until right before the meeting. Crazy, random circumstance or God's intervention? You decide.

PPPS This is NOT me playing. It's a midi. My playing is not this muddy :)

Come Come Ye Saints Organ Variation_final

4 comments:

  1. Funny you should say you have so much to learn. My sixty eight year old painting teacher mentioned the other day that she had so much knowledge locked inside that was pushing to get out before she died. What a funny slash tragic statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed out a coy of the song. I'll go try it out later. There was no midi file posted, that I could see. I'm so impressed with how busy you are and you're still taking organ lessons. There are no lessons as hard as organ. It's truly like patting your head and rubbing your tummy! I wish I could come out for your concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Judy. I got the midi fixed. I guess it got mixed up when I snuck in a corrected copy of the score :)

      Delete
  3. I love it. I am playing the organ for our little branch and I sooooo want to take lessons. What an inspiration you are! ... and so good at the organ!

    ReplyDelete