Sunday, January 29, 2012

Worst Cools

Both Naji and Joseph got the opportunity to hoop dance this month. Naji danced for his 4th grade talent show. Although he loves dancing, the attention it got him was a little much for him. After a couple of days of being told how cool his dance was, he came home and asked me why people thought being Native American was cool. (He doesn't like to be in the spotlight.)

Anyway on to the punchline. Naji said, "Native American is the worst kind of cool." To which Ben responded "No it's not."

I was baffled by this argument. Number 1: I want my kids to be accepted for who they are and not what they are. Number 2: I want them to be comfortable with their heritage. And Number 3: What's a worse kind of cool?

"Webbed Toes," Ben informed me.

Yep. Cool. But. Not.



4 comments:

  1. To be(cool)or not to be? That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Or to take arms against a sea of troubles.
    I suppose we all want to be 'different,' but not that different.
    Nice to see a new blog from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you finally blog again! I loved the hoop dancing! Both boys did great, however, I think Naji had the more receptive crowd! What would it have taken to get a reaction out of Joe's audience? He was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Excellent job by some of the talented young men in the Runs Through family. I don't know what the various dance patterns represent, but it seemed to me that there were a variety of animals being represented. Was I even close? Anyway, I have to agree that it was very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As ever Becky -- you are right on the money :)

    ReplyDelete